Casualty needs hospital treatment as fire service investigates blaze

Firefighters helped rescue a man from his Hartlepool home last night
Firefighters helped rescue a man from his Hartlepool home last night

A casualty was taken to hospital after a fire erupted near to a takeaway in Long Eaton.

The 10metre x four-metre blaze was discovered outside the rear of The Kebab Shop, on Station Road, Long Eaton, about 4.15am, on Sunday, May 15.

A Derbyshire fire service spokesman said: “One casualty was taken to hospital and crews also attempted to break into the affected premises as part of their investigation.”

Firefighters armed with a hose reel jet and breathing apparatus extinguished the fire and made the area safe by 6.45am.

The fire service alerted the police force and the gas board was also informed after there was thought to be a gas leak.

Ascott Drive firefighters were also called in to support Long Eaton firefighters during the incident after it was also established that there were potential problems with loose roof tiles.