Charger ‘could have killed’ girl, 11

Fire Risk: Harley Stapleton, six, Emma Stapleton and Kacey Stapleton, 11.
Fire Risk: Harley Stapleton, six, Emma Stapleton and Kacey Stapleton, 11.
0
Have your say

A mum is warning other parents about ordering electrical chargers online after her daughter got a nasty shock when hers blew up as she used her iPad.

Emma Stapleton contacted the Advertiser after a charger she ordered from Ebay exploded while her 11-year-old daughter Kacey was using her tablet computer.

She said: “I just keep thinking how much worse it could have been and I want to make sure there aren’t any fatal accidents because of these chargers.

“Kacey could have been electrocuted, she was using her iPad when there was a massive bang and it exploded.

“My husband ran up to her and the plug was in bits.

It tripped the electricity off, we’re lucky that’s all it did.”

The death of a Chinese air stewardess earlier this year was linked to her iPhone being plugged in to an unofficial charger when she answered it.

Emma added: “I dread to think what could have happened.

“My five-year-old Harley uses the iPad as well, we all do, any one of us could have been seriously hurt or worse.

“Or what if we’d been out and left it plugged in to charge, the house could have gone up in flames.”

Similar chargers are available to buy from mobile phone shops in Ilkeston and online.

Emma said: “I just wanted to tell people to buy the official charger, I know it’s cheaper and easier to get them online but it’s not worth the risk.”