Fined after gas leak risk

Magic Wok in Nottingham Road is fined for putting lives at risk after reconnecting a potentially dangerous gas supply.
Magic Wok in Nottingham Road is fined for putting lives at risk after reconnecting a potentially dangerous gas supply.
0
Have your say

A takeaway owner risked causing an explosion after he reconnecting the gas supply at his Ilkeston premises, despite being warned not to by an engineer, a court heard.

Last week, Magistrates in Derby ordered Mr Jinq Shin Lee to pay £9,515 for the offence at Magic Wok in Nottingham Road.

During a routine visit to Chinese takeaway Magic Wok last year, Erewash Borough Council food safety officers found that there were no arrangements in place for gas safety checks.

The court heard last Wednesday that the officers gave Lee extra time to get the checks carried out.

On August 8 the council received an offical report of a dangerous gas fitting at the premises stating that two appliances were leaking and the engineers had disconnected the gas supply to remove and prevent an explosion risk.

But Mr Lee told engineers he intended to open for business as normal that evening because he had reconnected the gas supply.

At 5.30pm the same day, officers visited and a prohibition notice was issued when it was discovered cooking had taken place. An engineer was called to refit the cap and stop the gas supply.

Magistrates were told that Mr Lee made a full and frank admission to reconnecting the gas supply when he was later interviewed under caution.

He pleaded guilty when he was told by magistrates that his actions were ‘extremely serious’ and that he had put the public, his employees and neighbours at considerable risk.

Cllr Barbara Harrison, lead member for the environment, said: “Any person or employer who fails to maintain standards, breaches the law or puts the wellbeing of customers at risk can expect prosecution.”

Lee was fined £8,000 plus £1,500 costs.