Security upped after incidents

NILABE110823c1, Hayworth general store Sandiacre, robbed by hooded kids with a knife.
NILABE110823c1, Hayworth general store Sandiacre, robbed by hooded kids with a knife.

A SANDIACRE shopkeeper, who claimed he was held up three times in six weeks by youths trying to steal beer, has told the Advertiser he is glad he installed CCTV and a panic button after the first incident.

The owner of Hayworth General Stores, who does not want to be named, said: “It was shocking, you just don’t expect a masked man to be holding a knife to you over a few cans of beer.

“I couldn’t believe it was happening.

“As soon as the men were gone we started to sort out CCTV and a panic button and I’m glad we did because then it happened again and again.

“You don’t expect it once so you definitely don’t think it will happen three times.”

His son, Suresh, said: “People that do this, they’re just scum. You couldn’t print what I’d like to say about them.

“They target hard-working people trying to make an honest living.

“We’ve had the shop for 23 years and nothing, then in the space of six weeks there were three incidents. It’s shocking.”

The first incident at the Hayworth Road shop happened at about 7.20pm on Sunday July 17.

Two young men burst into the shop, one threatened the shopkeeper with a knife while the other put about eight cans of beer into a bag before making off.

In the second incident, that took place on Thursday August 4 at 7pm, two masked youths entered the store, threatened the shopkeeper with a knife, stole cans of beer and made off on a bike.

The third time the shop was targeted was on Friday August 19 at about 3.30pm.

Two young men, armed with a knife attempted to take cans of beer from the store before the shopkeeper chased them off.

And Suresh praised the police’s efforts to help the store with their quick response.

He said: “I can’t believe people do these things over a few cans of beer.

“It might not cost a lot but that doesn’t mean there isn’t an impact. It’s scary and there’s bound to be psychological effects.

“It’s just a good job we had the CCTV and panic button sorted because that’s helped us and the police.

“They’ve been here really quickly every time and have been checking in to make sure things are ok since the first time it happened.”

n A 19-year-old man has been charged and bailed in connection with the third incident.