An 52-year-old from Ilkeston, died from exposure to asbestos during his work as a mechanic, an inquest has heard.
Eric Smith died at his Manor Road home on September 24 a year after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer caused by asbestos.
Wife Christine told Derby Coroner’s Court on Friday that he was ‘fit and well’ before his diagnosis but an operation in September 2011 removed most of his right lung.
Mrs Smith explained that during his work as a mechanic from the age of 16, often working very long hours, seven days a week, he would blow asbestos dust off brake and clutch pedals without any protective clothing or face mask.
Deputy coroner Louise Pinder recorded a verdict of death by industrial disease.