HALLOWEEN ALERT: Derbyshire residents urged to use fake candles to avoid horror

Derbyshire fire chiefs have issued vital Halloween safety advice.
Derbyshire fire chiefs have issued vital Halloween safety advice.

Derbyshire fire chiefs are urging residents to use electronic candles this Halloween to avoid a living nightmare.

The warning comes a year after the eight-year-old daughter of TV presenter Claudia Winkleman suffered serious burns when her Halloween costume went up in flames.

Little Matilda, who had brushed up against a naked flame, has undergone several operations since the horror blaze.

A Derbyshire fire service spokesman said: "Don't let Halloween fun turn into a Halloween nightmare.

"Fancy dress costumes can catch fire and burn extremely easy.

"Keep away from fire and be extra safe - use electric candles. These give the same effect without the risk of fire."

If residents do decide to use naked flames, they should bear in mind the following safety advice:

- Keep candles and tea lights away from children and animals

- Youngsters should be supervised at all times near naked flames

- Don't leave candles unattended for any reason

- Keep naked flames a safe distance from curtains, furniture and decorations at all times

- If clothing does catch fire, STOP - don't run as it will only make the blaze worse; DROP - get down on to the floor; ROLL - with your arms above your head, roll over and over to put out the flames