AN INQUEST into the death of an Ilkeston miner found that both his job and smoking cigarettes contributed to his death.
Maurice Tyler died at his Shirland Avenue home in February this year aged 84.
He had worked as a miner for 27 years.
During this time he was exposed to coal dust which was identified by assistant deputy Coroner for Derby and South Derbyshire, Paul McCandless, as a contributory factor to his death.
The inquest, held at South Derbyshire Coroner’s Court, heard that a post-mortem examination showed Mr Tyler also had cancer of the oesophagus.
Recording a narrative verdict, Paul McCandless, deputy assistant coroner for Derby and South Derbyshire, said: “Maurice Tyler died at home on February 20 2011.
“The cause of death was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, due to both coal dust exposure and cigarette smoking. He had a relevant working history, working as a coal miner for 27 years.”