Key to mark project’s end

Official handover of the specially commissioned key to mark the completion of the long Eaton cemtery chapel. Cllr Geoffrey Smith lead member for regeneration and planning, Richard Hill business development manager Bonsers and cclr Chris Corbett council leader.
Official handover of the specially commissioned key to mark the completion of the long Eaton cemtery chapel. Cllr Geoffrey Smith lead member for regeneration and planning, Richard Hill business development manager Bonsers and cclr Chris Corbett council leader.
0
Have your say

A £100,000 project to restore an historic Long Eaton chapel is now complete thanks to a council campaign to preserve the town’s heritage.

During a two-month project the Grade-II listed Cemetery Chapel, which dates back to 1889, has been restored to its former glory.

Specialist restoration firm Bonsers completely reconstructed the replica key to complete the historic renovation at the West Park landmark.

Erewash Borough Council, which owns the building and grounds, launched the project using £957,000 funding from the National Lottery Heritage Fund.

Cllr Geoff Smith, lead member for regeneration, said that it was an ‘outstanding’ example of partnership working between the council and contractors.

“This was clearly demonstrated by the Bonser team when they wanted to go that extra mile to commission a key for the original lock. It was a wonderful gesture and symbolises the spirit of partnership working. We are confident that residents and visitors to Long Eaton will welcome the restoration of this lovely chapel and celebrate the fact that it is now back in use.”