DCSIMG

Cat poisoning sparks anti-freeze appeal

Jeff the cat

Jeff the cat

A devastated cat owner is planning to start a campaign to encourage the use of pet-friendly anti-freeze after her beloved pet was poisoned.

Stephanie Lees, 29 of Nelson Street, Cotmanhay, explained how her cat, Jeff, came home vomiting last Saturday (February 22) after being let out for a few hours.

“He continued being unwell until Sunday, so I called the emergency vets,” she said.

Stephanie took Jeff to Vets Now at Dunkirk, where they performed blood and kidney tests.

“They confirmed it was anti-freeze that had poisioned him and there was nothing they could do to help him.” she said

Beauty therapist Stephanie confirmed that there had been other incidents in the area after her neighbour had to take a six-month-old kitten to the vet’s in another suspected case of poisoning. The kitten’s mother had been taken the previous week.

“The anti-freeze has a sweet taste for animals so it is alluring to them, which explains why cats drink it,” she said.

Stephanie now hopes to launch a petition calling for anti-freeze companies to alter the taste of their products.

“I have another cat, Munchkin and he is only one,” she said. “I won’t be letting him out now until these cases stop.”

This incident comes just one month after the ‘Tiser reported on Facebook campaigner Lucy Stevenson’s cat Harry, who was killed as a result of anti-freeze poisioning. The 34 year-old, also of Cotmanhay, is now running a sucessful Facebook page to make Ilkeston safer for pets.

Yvette Rowntree veterinary surgeon at Ambivet, Ilkeston warned pet owners to look out for vomiting and wobbliness.

She added: “These symptoms kick in anything between 30 minutes and 12 hours after it has been ingested but unfortunately, even if owners spot them early, it is usually 100 per cent fatal.

“Unfortunately as temperatures drop, cases do increase.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page