An Ilkeston mum-of-two has spoken of her horror after being served ‘mouldy’ bread at McDonald’s in Ilkeston.
Helen Morton, 45, of Little Meadow Close, took her daughters Chloe and Lily to the new fast food restaurant in Rutland Street on Sunday night.
She ordered around £17 worth of food for her family, including three chicken and bacon deli sandwiches.
When she got home and took a bite out of one of the sandwiches she noticed that two parts of the bread were covered in mould.
She told the Advertiser: “I had ordered three deli sandwich meals. I opened the first one and it had mould on it. I should have kept all three of them as I imagine all of them were mouldy.
“I got my money back but it’s not about money, it’s about a big food chain and mouldy bread.
“It is not acceptable. My ex went down there with my partner but the staff couldn’t offer any explanation.
“I will not be returning to that store or any other McDonald’s.
“A big company like McDonald’s shouldn’t be serving mouldy food — this sort of thing should not be happening.”
Ms Morton has complained to the environmental health department at Erewash Borough Council about the incident and has kept the bread as evidence.
Ms Morton said her 13-year-old daughter Chloe, who is autistic and has sensory issues, has been put off bread by the incident.
She said: “Putting things in her mouth is a big thing. She doesn’t want to eat any bread now so I have had to throw bread and croissants away.”
A spokesman for McDonald’s said: “We apologise to Ms Morton for this lapse in our usual high standards.
“At McDonald’s food safety and quality is of paramount importance and we are looking into the matter. Once our restaurant team was made aware of the bun, the remaining buns in the batch were disposed of and other buns were checked for similar issues. Ms Morton was offered a full refund.”
The restaurant opened in Rutland Street, close to Tesco, following the closure of its branch in the Albion Centre in Bath Street last month after 28 years in the town centre.
The closure of the former branch led some people to fear that it would have a detrimental effect on people shopping in Bath Street.