DCSIMG

Warning over dangers of e-cigarettes

Cllr Dave Allen

Cllr Dave Allen

People in Ilkeston are being warned to be extra vigilant when charging electronic cigarettes following incidents where the devices have exploded in people’s homes.

Derbyshire County Council’s trading standards team have issued the warning after several reports of electronic cigarette batteries overheating or exploding while being charged.

Trading standards officers recently carried out a sampling exercise following dozens of complaints about unsafe e-cigarette chargers and batteries.

They visited 14 shops across the county and bought re-fillable e-cigarettes, wall chargers and e-liquids. Many of the items purchased did not meet acceptable safety standards and the products have been taken off the shelves.

Councillor Dave Allen said: “We’re not saying don’t use these products and I would always encourage people to make every effort to give up smoking.

“This new technology isn’t without potential risks if it is used incorrectly or chargers are sub-standard.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page