Morphine and alcohol led to dad’s death

Martin Reynolds, 40, and his 2-year-old daughter Sophie

Martin Reynolds, 40, and his 2-year-old daughter Sophie

0
Have your say

A COMBINATION of alcohol and morphine led to the death of an Ilkeston dad – an inquest has heard.

Martin Reynolds, 40, died at his Lord Haddon Road home in September.

Deputy assistant coroner Louise Pinder heard that Martin had complained of feeling ill the night before his death and had a cold and flu-like illness as well as back pain.

He had drank a bottle of wine and almost a whole bottle of brandy before going to bed early.

Before going to sleep Martin had fetched a bottle of oramorph – liquid morphine – which had been prescribed to his partner, Sharon Bexon, from the kitchen.

Sharon said: “I noticed he had the bottle when he came back to bed and he had a drink from it, he said he was only having a mouthful.

“After that we chatted for a bit, he was fine, happy, jolly and chatty, and then went to sleep.”

In the morning when Sharon tried to wake Martin he didn’t respond.

She called 999 but paramedics pronounced him dead at the couple’s home.

An empty bottle of oramorph was found on the bedroom windowsill.

Toxicology reports showed that the amount of morphine in Martin’s system was at a lethal level.

Ms Pinder said that the amount of alcohol was ‘significant’ but not enough to cause Martin’s death.

She ruled out suicide saying: “I have not seen one shred of evidence that would suggest Martin wanted to deliberately take his life.”

A verdict of accidental death was recorded.

Speaking after the inquest Martin’s mum, Shirley Godfrey said: “It’s a relief to have the inquest out of the way.

“The not knowing was difficult.”

His sister, Cheryl Reynolds added: “Before today we didn’t know what had happened. Now we can move on and deal with Martin’s death.”