OAP died after choking on pizza

A 91-year-old woman from Cotmanhay died after she choked on pizza, an inquest has heard.

Alice Ball’s grandson Alan Guy used his first aid training as a police officer to try to save his grandmother on June 21.

But his efforts were in vain as she would have died ‘extremely quickly’, consultant pathologist Andrew Hitchcock told Derby Coroner’s Court on Wednesday (August 21).

He told the court that Ms Ball, of Whitely Avenue, also suffered from heart disease and a disease of the blood vessels which supply the brain.

Mr Guy said that she would sometimes choke on food as she had difficulties swallowing.

The court heard that Ms Ball had been eating takeaway pizza at her daughter’s – Mr Guy’s mother’s – home that evening.

When she started to choke Mr Guy immediately intervened.

Giving a verdict of accidental death, deputy coroner Louise Pinder said: “It’s clear that you did all that you could at the scene but unfortunately because of the underlying natural disease there was no way of bringing her back.”