Pals are cool fire heroes

Will Swain Headingham Close fire
Will Swain Headingham Close fire

An Ilkeston family escape a possible tragedy on Saturday thanks to the quick-thinking actions of an Ilkeston teenager and his friend.

Will Swain, 17, of Manor Road, and his friend Ash Stanton were passing Pewit Golf Course at about 7pm when they saw flames in the window of a house on Hedingham Close.

The two wasted no time as Will led a little girl who answered the door outside to safety and called the fire service while Ash ran upstairs and helped Isobel Coe, the girl’s mother, put out the bedroom fire with wet towels.

Mrs Coe said her eldest daughter had gone to the shops and left a decorative Christmas candle on the windowsill of her bedroom.

When her mother smelled burning and went to investigate she was confronted with a ‘raging fire’ in the bedroom.

Said Will: “I was not quite sure what to expect because I did not know whether it was just starting.

“When we saw the flames we just did what we did and tried to be as clam as we could.

“Everything was happening all at once so there was no time to think about anything.”

This week Mrs Coe told the Advertiser: “I cannot commend the two lads enough for how they dealt with it.”

A Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman 
said: “Candles should always be put out when leaving a 
room and should never be placed near curtains or other flammable materials.”