Complaints about animal being poisoned in Ilkeston and the rest of Derbyshire have jumped by nearly 40 per cent, figures have revealed.
Last year, the RSPCA received 30 poisoning complaints from concerned members of the public across the county – up from 22 in 2012.
The shock data was revealed as the RSPCA warned owners about accidentally poisoning their pets by giving them harmful treats, such as chocolate, over the Easter holidays.
It is a criminal offence to intentionally administer a poison to an animal.
There have been several alleged poisonings in Ilkeston recently, including thedeath of Cotmanhay cat Jeff, who died in February.
Owner Stephanie Lees said a vet had confirmed the cause as anti-freeze poisoning.
However, some people may be giving their pets harmful substances without realising they could be dangerous.
James Yates, the RSPCA’s chief veterinary officer, said it was worrying to see a rise in complaints – but he stressed that many accidental poisonings could be avoided if people were more aware of the dangers around their home.” He said: “Easter eggs are a tasty treat for many of us, but a hefty vet’s bill won’t be quite so easy to swallow if your pet ends up wolfing them down before you. There are so many hidden dangers to animals around the home and we want owners to keep their pets safe and healthy.”
Visit www.rspca.org.uk/poisoning for information.