SMOKE ALARM SAVES FAMILY

smoke alarms saved the lives of ten people after a blaze broke out at their Cotmanhay home.

The fire started in the kitchen of the rented property on Donner Crescent at just before 3am on Tuesday morning.

Everyone in the house escaped the blaze uninjured after they were woken by the alarms which allowed them to flee the house and dial 999.

Crews from Ilkeston station were on the scene within minutes.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent in to tackle the flames which were put out after half an hour.

Ilkeston Fire Station Commander Gary Platts told the Advertiser that without the smoke alarms there could have been a tragic outcome.

He said: “The smoke alarms saved their lives.

“The fire started in the early hours of the morning when the family were all asleep in bed.

“If the smoke alarms weren’t fitted and in working order we could have been looking at a tragic situation.”

He added: “We are still being called out to fires at homes that don’t have alarms fitted.

“Everyone should have them in their home, quite simply smoke alarms save lives.”

After the fire was out, crews remained on scene to ensure the property was safe.

n continued on page three