Two residents taken to hospital after blaze at a Kirk Hallam home

Two occupants of a Kirk Hallam house received treatment for smoke inhalation after a fire in the early hours of Monday morning.

The blaze in Godfrey Drive started in an upstairs bedroom at about 2.30am.

Firefighters from Ilkeston and Long Eaton stations put out the fire which was caused by an electrical fault.

An ambulance crew helped the mother and son who were both taken to hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire crews left the scene at about 3.40am.

The property had no working smoke alarms.

Chris Timmons, white watch crew manager, said: “These people were very lucky. Both residents were treated for smoke inhalation but it could have been much worse.

“We would urge anyone who doesn’t have working smoke alarms installed to book a home fire safety check.”

Fire crews carried out a hot strike at neighbouring homes offering advice about fire safety and installing smoke alarms. To book a home fire safety check call 0115 9326832 or visit www.derbys-fire.gov.uk.