VIDEO: Plaque unveiled for famous preacher

A blue plaque has been unveiled in Stapleford commemorating a famous preacher’s visit in the 18th century.

Mayor of Stapleford Cllr David Grindell and Mayor of Broxtowe Cllr Iris White unveiled the plaque at Wesley Place, so-named after John Wesley preached there in 1774 and 1780 and laid the foundation stone for a Wesleyan chapel in 1782. With his brother Charles, John Wesley founded the Methodist Church by street preaching around the country.

Blue plaque unveiling at the old Methosdist chapel Derby road in Stapleford. Mayor of Stapleford cllr David Grindell and mayor of Broxtowe cllr Iris White.

Blue plaque unveiling at the old Methosdist chapel Derby road in Stapleford. Mayor of Stapleford cllr David Grindell and mayor of Broxtowe cllr Iris White.