Warning after Derbyshire house fire caused by wrong E-Cigarette charger

editorial image
0
Have your say

A Derbyshire house fire earlier this morning was caused by the wrong charger being used for an E-Cigarette.

Crews from Heanor and Ilkeston attended a kitchen fire at a property on Huftons Drive, Heanor at 9.43am. The fire was out on arrival but was found to have been caused by an E-Cigarette being charged with an incorrect charger.

No-one was injured, but Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service has now issued some safety advice to remind people to take care while smoking in the home.

Prevention and Inclusion Group Manager, Paul Hawker said: “During April we are raising awareness in respect of the dangers associated with smoking. Whilst many smokers still use traditional methods of smoking, E-Cigarettes are becoming more and more common and in some instances, as highlighted by this incident today, can still pose a fire risk if not handled appropriately.

“I would urge anyone who uses an E-Cigarette to ensure they follow the manufacturer’s instructions in relation to charging their E-Cigarette and never to use a charger that wasn’t issued by the manufacturer.”

Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Service would like to remind people of the following safety advice for the use of traditional cigarettes and E-Cigarettes:

• Fit smoke alarms on every level of your home and test them weekly. A working smoke alarm can buy you valuable time to get out, stay out and call 999.

• Never leave an E-Cigarette charging overnight.

• Never leave an E-Cigarette charging unattended.

• Only use the E-Cigarette charger provided by the manufacturer.

• Never smoke in bed. Take care when you’re tired – it’s very easy to fall asleep while your cigarette is still burning and set furniture alight.

• Never smoke indoors when under the influence of drugs or alcohol. If your lit cigarette starts a fire you could be less able to escape.

• Put it out, right out! Make sure your cigarette is fully extinguished.

• Never leave lit cigarettes, cigars or pipes unattended.

• Use a proper, heavy ashtray that can’t tip over easily and is made of a material that won’t burn.

• Beware of counterfeit cigarettes that do not meet EU safety standards.