Washing chicken creates risk

Cllr Barbara Harrison
Cllr Barbara Harrison

Erewash Borough Council has backed a nationwide ‘Don’t wash raw chicken’ campaign – a health warning issued as part of this year’s Food Safety Week.

Washing poultry before cooking increases the risk of causing food poisoning by splashing bacteria onto kitchen surfaces, clothing and utensils.

Councillor Barbara Harrison, the council’s lead member for environment, said: “It is important that we play our part by highlighting the importance of handling and cooking food correctly – and Food Safety Week offers our environmental health team the perfect platform to do just that. Campylobacter poisoning is a very serious problem, with by far the biggest majority of cases caused by contaminated poultry.

“So we back this campaign to spread the word that we must not wash raw chicken.”