REPORT: Ilkeston FC 0-2 Frickley Athletic

Mike Williams chases down a Frickley opponent during Monday's defeat. Photo by Craig Lamont.
Mike Williams chases down a Frickley opponent during Monday's defeat. Photo by Craig Lamont.
Have your say

Frickley Athletic condemned Ilkeston to a 2-0 home defeat on Monday night and became the second side to do the double over the Robins this season.

Andy Watson’s side went into the game in high spirits after Saturday’s away win at Sutton Coldfield Town and would have been confident of making it two wins in three days.

But the visitors took the honours despite being reduced to ten men late in the game.

The first ten minutes saw high paced action from both sides, with the attacks coming thick and fast.

Frickley had the first attack of the game inside two minutes when a cross was put in from the left hand side, hitting the post and being cleared away to safety.

Just two minutes later and Ilkeston had their first chance. Luke Shaw fired in a dangerous cross from the right and Mike Williams rose to meet it, but his header was straight at Sebastian Malkowski in the Frickley goal.

Jamie Hannis would be called into action minutes later when he had to be alert to get down to a shot from outside the box, getting a hand to it and pushing it round the post for a corner.

Ilkeston’s passing football was proving tricky for Frickley and the deadlock was nearly broken when JJ Blake put a fine cross into the box but the ball evaded everyone and the chance was gone.

Frickley started to get into the game more and came close to grabbing the opening goal. Hannis again pushing an effort round the post for a corner, from which a header was put over the top from two yards out.

Haydn Goddard was showing some good skill on the left and when he put a high cross into the Frickley box for Lee Ndlovu, his header was straight into Malkowski’s hands as the sides went in level at the break.

Both sides had chances in the early part of the second half, but it would be Frickley who took their chance to go into the lead just after the 50 minute mark, when a cross from the left was met by Jacob Hazel who guided it past Hannis.

Joe Doyle came close to levelling the score with a vicious half volley which went narrowly over the bar.

On 65 minutes Frickley doubled their advantage. Matt Baker committed a foul right on the edge of the penalty area. The referee deemed it to have been just inside and awarded a penalty to Frickley. James Walshaw stepped up and sent Hannis the wrong way.

Sub Dan Udoh set up Williams but his shot was blocked for a corner, before the visitors were then reduced to ten men in the 80th minute after an altercation between Williams and Jameel Ible.

Ible was on the floor with the ball trapped underneath him with Williams trying to release it, but the referee saw an infringement from Cyrus and showed no hesitation in showing a red card to the Frickley defender.

Ilkeston tried to make the one-man advantage count and piled the pressure on the visitors and Williams close to pulling a goal back for Ilkeston when he cut inside from the left and hit a shot which Malkowski did well to save.

With time ticking down, Blake swung the ball in from a free-kick and Matt Baker’s header was again saved by an agile Malkowski, a late header from Williams also off target as Frickley held out to win.

Monday, January 25, 2016:

Ilkeston: 1 Jamie Hannis 2 Luke Shaw 3 Haydn Goddard 4 Jordan Wheatley 5 Matt Baker 6 Joe Burgess (c) 7 Joe Doyle (Danny Gordon 82) 8 JJ Blake 9 Lee Ndlovu (Dan Udoh 70) 10 Charlie Coulson (Dexter Atkinson 63) 11 Mike Williams.

Subs not used: Liam Marshall, Curtis Burrows

Frickley: 1 Sebastian Malkowski 2 Tom Davie 3 Luke Jeffs 4 Luke Hinsley 5 John Cyrus 6 Jameel Ible 7 Tyler Williams 8 Sam Akeroyd 9 Jacob Hazel 10 James Walshaw (Oliver Ryan 90) 11 Brad Grayson.

Subs not used: Chris Wood, Lee Stratford, Karl Rose, Jon Hood

Scorers: Hazel 56, Walshaw 69pen

Att: 339