Give your Sunday lunch an extra dimension.
1 large chicken (about 2kg/4lb 8oz)
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
roast potatoes and vegetables, to serve (optional)
For the stuffing:
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
2 red apples, cored and finely chopped
100g walnuts, chopped
100g fresh breadcrumbs, handful reserved for the topping
400g sausagemeat (6 sausages)
1 medium egg
handful parsley, chopped
2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
25g butter, plus extra for greasing
1. Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. To make the stuffing, mix together all the ingredients, except the butter, in a large bowl with some seasoning. Scrunch with your hands until well combined.
2. Season the chicken all over and put in a roasting tin. Smear with the butter and put on the middle shelf of the oven for 50 mins.
3. Meanwhile, grease a 20 x 30cm roasting tin. Press in the stuffing, then sprinkle with the reserved breadcrumbs and dot with the butter.
4. Brush the chicken with the mustard, transfer it to a lower shelf and roast for 40 mins more until cooked through and the juices run clear. Put the stuffing on the top shelf at the same time and cook for 40-50 mins until golden and crisp.
5. Leave the chicken to rest for 10 mins, then serve with the stuffing, along with roast potatoes and veg, if you like.