Blankets failed tests

MORE than half of electric blankets tested in Stapleford last week failed a safety check, the council’s trading standards has said.

More than 200 residents brought blankets to be tested at events across Nottinghamshire, including 35 in Stapleford, of which 20 failed.

Nottinghamshire County Council handed out about 120 new electric blankets to people whose blanket failed the test and discount vouchers were given to those people who preferred to buy their own replacement.

Blankets failed the tests for a reasons, including age, worn fabric, faulty controllers and crossed wires.

Faulty electric blankets have caused nine house fires in Nottinghamshire since April 2009, all of which could have been prevented.

The testing events coincided with Electrical Fire Safety Week.