The boss of a Ilkeston takeway that failed to meet food hygiene standards has apologised to customers.
USA Express Chicken, in South Street, was handed a rating of just one, out of a possible five, by inspectors from Erewash Borough Council, following an inspection in January.
The takeaway was accused of selling undercooked meat which led to food poisoning.
The owners told the Advertiser that major improvements have now been made. In a letter, the wrote: “We, as the owners of USA chicken, were taken by surprise with the findings of the environmental health officers for working practices employed by manager and staff at the time of their visit.
“We are fully co-operating with them to resolve the issues raised and we will do so in the future.We also terminated the employment of those who were present at the time and employed a new manager and a chef who are both qualified to make the necessary changes to working practices.
“All our actions have been relayed to the health officers and we will carry on co-operating with them in the future .
“Our aim is to demonstrate and achieve the standards we once had, with the new staff and guidance given by the environmental officers.”
The inspector observed practices that gave them cause for concern, particularly in relation to the potential for cross contamination to occur between raw and ready-to-eat foods and in relation to the possible under cooking of chicken doner on the upright kebab grill.
Two people had suffered food poisoning after buying a kebab that contained under cooked chicken.
There were also concerns in the nine-page report about chicken strips being stored at the wrong temperature, cross contamination, which could lead to e-coli, build up of food debris on the floor, and not keeping appropriate records.
The takeaway is now awaiting the results of a follow-up inspection.