Buxton Mountain Rescue Team called to four incidents over four days

From Friday, June 24, and Monday, June 27, the Buxton and Edale Mountain Rescue Teams were called to four different incidents.

Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 1:36 pm
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 7:07 pm

At tea time on Friday, the teams were called to Edale, following a report of an injured hill walker near to the top of Golden Clough on Kinder Scout.

A member of a group from the Peterborough area had fallen while walking, causing an ankle injury.

Following treatment by team personnel on site she was packaged, placed onto a mountain rescue stretcher and carried for more than a kilometre to the parties transport at Edale Village.

She was then taken to hospital by her relatives.

In the early afternoon of Saturday, the Buxton Team were called by police to an incident in Crowden Brook on Kinder Scout.

An adult male from the Leicester area had fallen whilst descending Crowden Brook, causing a suspected fractured finger. The shock of the incident caused the hill walker to become unwell and was unable to continue walking down unaided.

A member of the party descended the hill to call for help, from the public telephone box at Upper Booth.

A small party of team members were deployed to assist the hill walker, he however had started to feel much better and commenced walking to the road. He was met by team members and was driven back to the Tipps Car Park.

The casualty was advised to seek medical attention.

At this time the team received a second call to an incident at Windgather Rocks, Kettleshulme.

A 31-year-old male, taking part in a fell race suffered a medical collapse on the top of the rocks.

With rest the fell runner improved and was later able to walk to walk to the road with the assistance of team members and the ambulance crew.

At lunchtime on Monday the Buxton and Edale Teams were called to Millers Dale Station, following a report of a walker having fallen a considerable distance in Chee Dale.

An elderly gentleman from Coalville, Leicestershire had been walking with his wife when the incident occurred, resulting in him falling some 30 feet down the bank into the River Wye.

The teams responded quickly, but couldn’t locate the casualty initially. Team members worked up and down the river bank and it wasn’t long before the casualty was found.

The gentleman had sustained abrasions with severe bruising and was hypothermic, after spending some time in the river. He was treated on site by an East Midlands Ambulance Service paramedic.

He was packaged, placed onto a mountain rescue stretcher and because of his location a rope rescue system was used to assist with the evacuation from the river bank to the Chee Dale path.

He was then carried up to the Monsal Trail where a land ambulance was waiting.