Assault yob is spared prison

editorial image

A MAN who punched his ex-girlfriend’s new partner in Ilkeston Market Place faces jail unless he cleans up his act, a court has heard.

Stephen Iliffe, 38, of Barker Gate, Ilkeston, was in breach of an ASBO when, drunk after a night out, he floored Lee Hillier with a punch on September 5 last year.

On Monday, Recorder Maureen Baker at Nottingham Crown Court deferred his sentencing for six months after his lawyer Errol Ballentine said he had been receiving treatment for drink problems and plans to go to college.

He handed a letter to the court from support workers explaining the progress Iliffe had made since the attack.

Sarah Munro, prosecuting, said Iliffe saw former partner Sasha Scott with Mr Hillier in the town centre and began following them and shouting abuse at about 2.30am.

They ignored him until he was very close by and Mr Hillier was forced to put his hand between his girlfriend and Iliffe to ‘usher’ her away.

She said: “Ilifffe was clenching his teeth together. As he did so, Mr Hillier felt a blow to his face and remembers nothing else.”

The whole incident was captured on CCTV.

Miss Munro said that Iliffe left the scene shortly after.

Mr Hillier was treated for injuries to his face and breathing difficulties.

Police found Iliffe nearby ‘clearly drunk’ and with grazed knuckles.

Miss Munro said he told them Mr Hillier had ‘jumped on his back’ and he had reacted in self defence.

“Clearly, that wasn’t borne out by the CCTV,” she said.

He was slapped with a two-year ASBO shortly before the incident, having been convicted of a string of offences since 1989, including assault and threatening behaviour.

Recorder Maureen Baker said: “His behaviour is far from attractive, but he has nevertheless pulled his act together somewhat in the last five months.”

She told Iliffe he will receive a final sentence on September 12.

“It will be you who will in effect sentence yourself,” she said, adding that if he re-offends, he should expect a custodial sentence.

“Mess up and you know what’s waiting for you,” she said.

She ruled he must be kept under the supervision of the housing support services he is currently attending. He has been electronically tagged and curfewed from 10pm to 6am.