Glass attack mum is jailed

Christine Monshiemer, jailed for glass attack in Ilkeston.
Christine Monshiemer, jailed for glass attack in Ilkeston.
Share this article

An Ilkeston mum left a woman scarred for life after smashing her in the face with a glass during a row on a pub dancefloor.

Christine Monshiemer, 25, was jailed for 18 months at Nottingham Crown Court today (Friday) for the attack at the Market Inn, Market Place.

The court heard the victim had 17 stitches and was left ‘traumatised’ and afraid of going out in public, after Monshiemer slammed her tumbler into her face on the night of Saturday February 25.

Sentencing the mum-of-one, Judge Philip Head said: “This was a very, very serious attack with a real, long-term consequence for your victim.”

The court heard that the 24-year-old victim had been dancing around a pole installed on the pub’s dancefloor and had accidentally bumped into Monshiemer.

James Hett, prosecuting, said that witness Robert Hodgkinson had been ‘fearful’ that Monshiemer ‘would respond with violence’ if she was bumped again.

When she collided with Monshiemer a second time she pushed the victim, punches were thrown and then Monshiemer threw her drink over the woman.

She then ‘thrusted’ the empty tumbler into the victim’s face.

Mr Hett said of the victim: “She was horrified.

“She had been traumatised by this incident and feels she has been mutilated.

“She’s so conscious of her scarring, she has been reluctant to leave her house.”

When police arrived, Monshiemer had fled to another pub, where she was arrested.

She denied the attack during a police interview and again at an appearance at a magistrates court, only admitting her actions at a court hearing on October 18.

Mitigating, David Outerside said jobless Monshiemer has a four-year-old daughter and was ‘terrified of the prospect of custody’.

Judge Head gave her credit because the use of the glass was ‘spontaneous’ rather than pre-meditated.

But Monshiemer was subject to a conditional discharge for being caught with one wrap of crack cocaine in January at the time of the attack.