‘PETRIFIED’ residents have told the Advertiser that they are scared to go out in Kirk Hallam at night after an attack that has left a 26-year-old man with serious facial injuries which could cost him his hearing.
The incident happened on Friday night at around 11.15pm outside the shops on Queen Elizabeth Way.
Matilda Briggs, landlady of the Nottingham Castle pub near to where the incident happened, said: “People are terrified. Business has been affected because people won’t go out when it’s dark.”
Kuldip Sandhu, owner of Food for Less on the Queen Elizabeth Way precinct, said: “What happened on Friday is awful.
“People are worried about it. We put CCTV in here a while back to reassure customers and we’ve definitely had less trouble since then.
“The victim has been in here a few times, it’s terrible what happened.”
One resident, who did not want to be named, said: “I’ve lived here for 30 years. People are actually petrified and we shouldn’t be feeling like this.”
A teenager, who saw the victim following the attack, said: “I saw the lad and his face looked a right mess.
“It’s so bad, something needs to be done to stop stuff like this. People round here are really scared.”
The attack has sparked local councillors to renew their requests for CCTV cameras to be installed in the area.
Cllr John Frudd said “I wish the victim a speedy recovery.
“We’ve wanted cameras for some time now and this incident has highlighted how important it is to fight for them.
“Hopefully the cameras will have a presence and help to improve things.”
County councillor for the area, Michelle Booth, added: “We have asked for CCTV cameras before.
“Our renewed requests are a reaction to what’s happened so that something positive might come as a result of this terrible attack that happened on our doorsteps.
“People are really worried about what’s happened”
A 15-year-old boy and a 19-year-old man, both from Ilkeston, have been arrested, questioned and bailed while further investigations are carried out.