Man harassed ex after split

AN ILKESTON man has been spared jail after harassing his ex after she ended their four-year relationship.

Christina Tilk, 23, from Codnor, finished her relationship with Andrew Hooper, of Beauvale Drive, on July 2 but he continued phoning her and leaving text messages.

One message sent by the 22-year-old, read: “You watch what happens now. Don’t hold me responsible. You’d better make sure your front door is locked – I’m going to smash it down.”

Chesterfield magistrates heard that Hooper also threatened: “It’s going to get messy real fast.”

Sarah Haslam, prosecuting, said he was arrested and he accepted making unwanted contact, saying she would not answer his calls and give him a reason for the break-up.

He said he sent threatening messages because a group of men had threatened to break down his door and he wanted her to feel upset like he did.

Hooper admitted harassment between July 2 and August 5. He had a previous conviction for racially-aggravated threatening behaviour.

“She was his first love and only love and, without warning or explanation, she decided she had had enough,” said solicitor Steve Brint in mitigation.

“This hit him very, very hard. He wanted to know what the problem was and if they could sort it out and move on, but it didn’t happen. She didn’t answer his calls.”

Mr Brint added: “He sent about 30 texts, some were about him taking a cocktail of drink and drugs because he was feeling very depressed.

“A friend found him in an alcoholic stupor and he was admitted to hospital for a couple of days and he has been involved with the mental health crisis team.”

Mr Brint alleged that Ms Tilk had used a key to enter Hooper’s home with other people and take property that belonged to him – and claimed he had “received threatening messages from the other side.”

However, he said Hooper now accepted the relationship was over.

Magistrates had warned he could be locked up but instead gave him a one-year conditional discharge and ordered him to pay £85 costs. They also imposed a one-year restraining order banning him from contacting Ms Tilk and going to her home and workplace.