Trio sentenced on hit and run charges

editorial image

Two men have been jailed and another handed a suspended sentence in connection with a hit and run that left an Ilkeston teenager with permanent brain injuries.

Haydn Thomson was left in a critical condition after being knocked down as he crossed Stanton Road in the early hours of May 12.

James Harrison

James Harrison

Matthew Reynolds, James Harrison and Scott Hipkiss all pleaded guilty to charges relating to the incident and were sentenced at Derby Crown Court on Friday.

Reynolds, of St Norbert’s Drive, Kirk Hallam, was jailed for a total of three years and six months for failing to stop at the scene of an accident, failing to report an accident, driving with no insurance and perverting the course of justice.

The 29-year-old was banned from driving for four years during the hearing at Derby Crown Court.

Harrison, 22, of Oliver Road, Kirk Hallam, admitted perverting the course of justice and was jailed for 20 months.

Matthew Reynolds

Matthew Reynolds

Hipkiss, 18, of Kirkby-in-Ashfield, was given an eight-month sentence, suspended for a year and will have to complete 200 hours of unpaid work for admitting perverting the course of justice.

Reynolds told police that he thought he had killed someone after hitting 19-year-old Haydn as he drove back from a night out in Ilkeston.

He said after the impact, which smashed the car’s windscreen and dented the bonnet, he panicked and drove off.

Police estimated the car was travelling between 43 and 56mph when Haydn was hit in the 30mph zone.

Steven Gosnell, for Reynolds, said: “Anyone who knows anything about this case will be revolted by what Matthew Reynolds did.

“He accepts that and when he looks back he is revolted by his own actions.”

Harrison, who was a passenger in the car, said that he told his friend to slow down before the accident and then told him he should stop afterwards.

But he claimed that by the time the pair had arrived at Reynolds’ dad’s garage and assessed the damage to the car he thought he was ‘in too deep’ and ‘past the point of no return’.

The pair decided to burn the car which was discovered the next morning near the Nutbrook Trail.

Martin Sharpe, for Harrison, said: “He feels a deep respnosibility for being in the car and being a part of what went on.

“He feels regret for not informing the police and takes full responsibility for his actions.”

Hipkiss, Harrison’s half brother, was told by the friends to tell police that they arrived home at 12.30am.

When first questioned by police he went along with the story.

Mrs Brown, defending Hipkiss, said: “He was asked to tell police that they arrived home earlier than they did.

“He suspected they may have been up to something but nothing of this nature.”

All three men were given full credit for guilty pleas at the first opportunity.

Sentencing Reynolds and Harrison, Recorder Peter Ievins addressed Haydn and his family who were in court. He said: “Nothing the court can do can compensate for the loss that you and your family have suffered.”

He then turned his attention to the pair who were in the car.

“This was one of the most contemptable pieces of behaviour to come before the courts,” he added.

“You thought you might have killed him, you left another human being as far as you knew dying in the road.”