Fitter was unaware of deadly asbestos

An Ilkeston electrician who worked for East Midlands Electricity Board his entire working life died as a result of exposure to asbestos, a Derby inquest has heard.

South Derbyshire deputy coroner Louise Pinder said Roy Corns, 75, of Greenwood Avenue, was regularly exposed to significant amounts of asbestos as a fitter from 1953 until retirement in 1992 The switches he used to fit were made out of the hazardous substance.

He died on July 16 and a post-mortem established his death was caused by a malignant mesothelioma .

Mr Corns’ wife, Beryl, confirmed that his work environment was often dusty and he was unaware that the dust contained asbestos at the time .