A mum has warned parents about the dangers of netting in swimming trunks after her son’s genitals became trapped in the material and he had to go to hospital to have them removed.
Laura Collins, 33, was holidaying with her five-year-old son Jack in Lanzarote last week.
She went to remove his shorts but the netting had become caught around the end of his penis.
Speaking to a national paper she said: “He let out the most gut-wrenching scream I’ve ever heard; it’s a sound no mother should ever hear.”
“The netting had became caught around the end of his willy and it was strangulating it.
“There were two little bubbles either side, like skin, like it was going to burst,” she said.
After a visit to the health centre the youngster had to go to hospital where he received local anaesthetic and doctors eventually managed to cut him free.
Dpctors were concerned about Jack’s urinary tract being blocked or damaged through the pressure of the netting, rather than any damage to the outside.
However, after a while Jack was able to urinate and doctors confirmed he had suffered no lasting damage.
She added: “I never imagined something like this could happen but I want all parents to make sure they remove the netting from swimming shorts.”
Supermarket giant Tesco has apologised to the family and taken the shorts for investigation.
A spokesperson for the company said: “We were extremely sorry to hear of the experience Mrs Collins’ son had.
“Whilst we will be conducting an investigation with the manufacturer we would like to assure our customers that all our swimshorts meet the industry standards required for the mesh lining.
“Our customer service team has spoken to Mrs Collins and will update her on the outcome of the investigation.”