Ilkeston FC suffer back-to-back defeats after losing to Barwell

editorial image

Ilkeston FC succumbed to back to back league defeats as the Robins were comfortably beaten at Barwell.

On a visibly muddy pitch, Ilkeston struggled to get into their stride and their flow. Dan Udoh, Dexter Atkinson and Mike Williams formed the front three. Jordan Wheatley and JJ Blake sat in the midfield, with Olly Luto and Danny Gordon wingbacks.

Barwell started brightly with high pressure and were giving the Ilkeston players no time on the ball. Atkinson mustered the first meaningful effort, when he fired over the bar from the edge of the box.

But after eight minutes, the hosts did take the lead. A cross into the box found its way to Ant Carney who collected the ball and drove inside before firing low past Evandro Rachoni. This evidently gave the hosts much needed momentum, they began to hassle the Robins players who were still struggling to create.

Ilkeston attempted to get back into the game; Luto’s cross went too high before Blake’s cross moments later resulted in good defending to prevent Matt Baker from nodding into the net.

JJ Blake came close when his shot from the edge of the box went straight down the throat of Liam Castle. Atkinson then found space in the box but Castle was on hand to deny the striker at his feet.

Ant Carney continued to trouble Ilkeston throughout the first half; he wriggled into space inside the box but opted to cross instead of shoot. Williams came close for Ilkeston but his shot went the wrong side of the post as the Robins continued to find a way back into the game.

However in first half stoppage time, the hosts made it two. Similar to the first goal, a searching ball into the box reached Alex Tomkinson, the midfielder checked inside before running across the box and firing into the top corner past several Robins players on the line.

After the break Ilkeston looked sturdier and were hoping to create, the second half presented limited chances for the Robins who found themselves operating in narrow situations, a lack of width troubled them coupled with an intense midfield battle.

With 66 minutes on the watch, Barwell made it three. Owen Story was released on the near side, he checked inside before curling a cross towards the back post where Richard Lavery headed into the bottom corner.

Barwell looked to add more, another devilish corner was whipped in towards the back post where Lavery headed against Baker who blocked well.

The damage grew for Ilkeston when Barwell added a fourth, Alex Tomkinson delivered a corner into the near post where Jamie Towers powered home.

The Robins nearly pulled a late consolation, Udoh won a free kick around 20 yards out, Liam Marshall stepped up and curled towards the top corner where Liam Castle palmed away. However Ilkeston could not find a consolation and suffered back to back league defeats.

Next up for Ilkeston FC is the visit of Halesowen Town to the New Manor Ground on Saturday afternoon, 3pm kick off.

Ilkeston FC Starting XI: Evandro Rachoni, Matt Baker, Joe Burgess (c), Liam Marshall, Danny Gordon (Joe Doyle 55), Olly Luto, Jordan Wheatley, JJ Blake (Haydn Goddard 78), Dexter Atkinson (Charlie Coulson 58), Dan Udoh, Mike Williams.

Subs not used: Eli Bako Lewis Walker.

Barwell Starting XI: Liam Castle, Scott Lower, Eddie Nisevic, Declan Towers, Joe Ballinger, Richard Lavery(c) (Callum Woodard 78), Alex Tomkinson, Nigel Julian, Luke Barlone (Aaron Daniels 76), Owen Story (Jamie Towers 71) , Ant Carney.

Subs not used: Isaac Cooper, Liam Kay