Ilkeston’s Stanton Bonna Concrete has been fined £270,000 and ordered to pay costs of more than £24,000 after one of its employees suffered head injuries when preparing to clean a concrete mixer.
Derby Magistrates’ Court heard how a heavy lid to the concrete mixer’s discharge chute door fell onto the worker’s head after a wire rope used to winch it open snapped.
His head was crushed between the lid and the mixer, breaking his jaw, which meant four screws had to be put into his mouth to keep his jaw in place.
An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) into the incident on December 23, 2014, found that the winch and wire rope had not been inspected or maintained, and there was inadequate risk assessment.
HSE inspector Lindsay Bentley said: “This incident was entirely preventable, had Stanton Bonna Ltd fully assessed the risks associated with the task and maintained the wire rope. Furthermore, following the incident an alternative method of cleaning the mixer, which did not involve employees getting into it was adopted.”
Stanton Bonna Concrete Limited pleaded guilty to breaching Section 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.