An Ilkeston man died after he went to sleep in his home and failed to wake up the next morning, an inquest has heard.
Micheal Kemp, 45, of Cotmanhay Road, had been drinking from 9am the day before he died on January 7. An inquest at Derby and south Derby Coroners’ Court heard that he had also been taking the drug M Kat. He and friends were going to get up early the next day to meet their friend who was being released from prison.
However Mr Kemp, who went to sleep on the living room floor at around 12am, would not wake up when friends tried to rouse him at 6.30am.
The inquest heard that Mr Kemp, a dad-of-one, had suffered with mental health issues for which he was on antidepressants.
A postmortem found that he had MKat and high levels of ethanol in his system.
The cause of death was put down to acute poisoning caused by Mkat and alcohol.
Giving evidence, Detective Constable Ryan Hockley, from Ilkeston CID, said police were contacted by the ambulance service at 7.17am to attend the scene. Though the death was not suspicious it was unexpected. Mr Kemp’s housemate and friends were at the flat and in a distressed state.
DC Hockley said: “We understand that their friend was being released from prison. They were going to get up early and get the bus.”
When police searched the flat they found lots of empty cans of strong lager and numerous empty plastic bags in the kitchen bin which had contained powder.
His friends had told police they thought that Mkat was becoming a problem for Mr Kemp. They believed he had a stash that he would take without them knowing. He was last seen by his friend Chantelle who slept on the sofa next to him. She woke up at 6.30am and attempted to wake him.
Assistant Coroner for Derby and South Derbyshire, Louise Pinder, recorded a verdict of accidental death.’