Ilkeston man’s flat fall death was an accident

A CHEF who died after falling down a flight of stairs has been described as a ‘brilliant and lovely person’ by his mother.

Ryan Brylka suffered severe head injuries when he tumbled forward after he had been to see friends at a block of flats in Arundel Street, Derby.

An inquest into the 27-year-old’s death heard how he had spent the previous day drinking alcohol and that he took prescribed sleeping pills.

After the hearing, Mr Brylka’s mother, Lynda Exon, said: “He was brilliant and from a good family. This was a tragic accident. He was a lovely person who was strong at all times.”

Derby and South Derbyshire Coroner’s Court heard how Mr Brylka had been arrested at his home, in Bath Street, Ilkeston, on January 16, after arguing with a neighbour.

He was released and the following day had threatened to throw himself from a bridge over the A52, at St Alkmund’s Way, Derby, but was talked down by police negotiators. He was assessed by the mental health team at the Royal Derby Hospital and released.

Friend Travis Reid told the inquest that he and Mr Brylka had been drinking alcohol ‘on and off all day since around 12.30pm’ on January 17.

He said: “We had gone into Normanton and had a couple of cans of beer. Ryan was a bit giddy, he had already had something to drink.

“He was in good spirits, in a good mood. We had around seven or eight more cans of beer during the day.”

Mr Reid told the inquest at around 11.30pm, he left Mr Brylka slumped at the top of the stairs outside his flat and went out with another friend.

“He (Mr Brylka) was collapsed outside the flat at the top of the stairs,” he said.

A neighbour called 999 after seeing a body at the bottom of the stairs about 45 minutes later in the early hours of January 18.

Det Con James Bolus told the inquest: “Initially I came into work that morning to be told a murder investigation had started. It was treated a seriously as that. But from all the investigation we did at the time we concluded that he (Mr Brylka) was alone at the time of the fall. This was a tragic accident and there is nothing to suggest any suspicious circumstances.”

Pathologist Dr Stuart Hamilton carried out the post-mortem examination on Mr Brylka’s body, which found he had suffered a fractured skull in the fall. Tests showed his blood contained 300ml per decilitre, more than three-and-a-half times the drink-driving limited of 80ml.

And there were also traces of prescribed sleeping tablets, but Dr Hamilton said this ‘would not have contributed to the death’.

Louise Pinder, deputy coroner, said she was satisfied there were no suspicious circumstances and recorded a verdict of accidental death.