Murder trial told of bash skull in threat

Police cordon found on Canal Street, Ilkeston.
Police cordon found on Canal Street, Ilkeston.

The trial of four people accused of murdering an Ilkeston dad-of-six started at Nottingham Crown Court this week.

Collette Booth, 47, of Mill Street, Ilkeston, her son, Alan Chapman, 27, of Bass Street, Derby, his best friend Jamie Elliott, 26, of North Street, Alfreton and Nathan Hall, 24, of Birchwood Lane, Somercotes have all denied murdering Mick Moss.

Dad-of-six Mr Moss died on January 30 after he was allegedly attacked in the living room of his Canal Street home.

Doctors who examined the unemployed 48-year-old’s body said that he sustained face, head and chest injuries. The cause of death was given as head and chest injuries consistent with blunt force trauma, the court heard.

After outlining the details of the case, Peter Joyce QC, prosecuting, told the court that Booth, who was Mr Moss’s ex-partner, had grown to ‘loathe’ the victim and read out a text message she sent to him on the day before his death.

It said: “I can’t stand you. You make me feel sick. You are disgusting and you stink.”

Mr Joyce went on to tell the court that four days before Mr Moss was allegedly beaten to death Chapman, who was in prison at the time, called his mum from HMP Stocken in Leicestershire.

Booth was telling Chapman she was becoming increasingly annoyed with Mr Moss.

The jury was told Chapman said: “I swear to God I will get JJ (the nickname of Jamie Elliott) to bash his skull in.

To which Booth replied: “He needs it.”

Chapman then said: “I’m out in four weeks mum, keep Mick sweet then when I get out obviously I’m going to ring JJ and he will batter him.”

During the same conversation Chapman allegedly told his mum to ring Elliott.

Five minutes after the call Booth used a friend’s phone to ring the landline number of Elliott’s girlfriend, the court was told.

After the call there was what Mr Joyce described as a ‘blizzard of communication’ between Elliott and Hall.

The prosecution then went on to give details of the route from Alfreton to Ilkeston allegedly taken by Elliott and Hall on the night Mr Moss was killed.

Mr Joyce said of Elliott and Hall: “They arrived long enough to establish Mick Moss’s whereabouts. They then burst into his home, kill him and run away.”

Witness Kristy Jones, of Mill Street, was one of four people who went to Mr Moss’s aid as he lay on his living room floor.

She said she had seen two men running out of his house and told the court one was wearing gloves and one had a large black and red tattoo on the left side of his neck.

During cross examination, David Farrar, defending Booth, asked Miss Jones if she had seen his client at the address.

Miss Jones replied: “Yes, she was fetched by somebody.”

Mr Farrar then read Miss Jones a section of her witness statement which said Booth had arrived at the scene and said: “He was texting me ten minutes ago.”

Miss Jones said that this was correct.

Booth, who is on bail, wiped tears from her eyes as the exchange took place.

The trial continues.