The new look Erewash Museum has been officially opened following a refurbishment costing more than half a million pounds.
The learning and visitor centre was unveiled to the public on Saturday when visitors got to enjoy the new facilities and take part in a Victorian theme day including demonstrations and learning about the art of lace making.
The newly-completed Heritage Lottery Fund project also features a new ‘Old Stables’ exhibition and a brand new tea room.
Councillor Mike Wallis, Erewash Borough Council’s Lead Member for Culture and Leisure, said: “Our award winning museum is much loved by residents and these new facilities offer us so many more opportunities to extend and build on the magnificent work that is already carried out.”
The Old Stables Tea Rooms are sure to be a hit with visitors. Features include tables covered with old maps of Ilkeston on, a Victorian image depicted on the far wall and a plush serving counter which is outlined by nostalgic images of well-known traditional food brands.
The tearoom is managed by the Friends of Erewash Museum and staffed entirely by volunteers. An appeal for more volunteers was a success but people can still apply to help out.
To find out more about volunteering in the tearoom, email volunteer co-ordinator Rebecca Buck at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0115 907 1141.
Volunteers help serve tea, coffee and cakes. No cooking skills are necessary,as long as you have a friendly personality and a willingness to undergo some simple training.
The opening times at the tea rooms will extend during school holidays.