Night stalker targeted women in their homes

A sexual predator has been brought to justice after he crept into the homes of two women during the cover of night while they were sleeping.

Derby Crown Court heard on Monday, February 29, how Wayne Buxton, 26, of Hawthorn Close, Woolley Moor, near Alfreton, had reportedly checked for open doors across a Clay Cross neighbourhood before he struck at the two victims’ homes.

Pictured is Wayne Buxton, 26, of Hawthorn Close, Woolley Moor, near Alfreton, who was jailed for eight years for six sex offences.

Pictured is Wayne Buxton, 26, of Hawthorn Close, Woolley Moor, near Alfreton, who was jailed for eight years for six sex offences.

Buxton was found guilty of two counts of trespassing with intent to commit a sexual offence and to one count of sexual assault between July 18 and July 25 last year, following a trial in January.

During his sentencing hearing on Monday, February 29, he also admitted three counts of making indecent photos involving images of children on his laptop between December 2007 and July 2015.

He had also been accused during the trial of entering the home of an 84-year-old woman in Derbyshire and sexually assaulting her but the jury found him not guilty on these two counts - despite the fact it was agreed that this woman had been attacked by someone.

Judge John Burgess told Buxton: “Just reading about the facts would give anyone real concern that you were a dangerous offender.

Derby Crown Court

Derby Crown Court

“It’s the circumstances in which the offences of trespassing with intent are committed that gives real concern.

“These offences were committed in women’s homes in the early hours when people are expected to be asleep.

“In one case the woman woke up and you came up with a false excuse and in the other case you sexually assaulted the woman by running your finger between her buttock and knee.”

The court heard previously how one of the victims had been asleep on her sofa and woke to find Buxton just six inches away from her face on July 18 last year before he fled.

His second victim had her buttock and thigh touched while she was in her bed before Buxton fled again, according to the court.

Police stated they had come across Buxton in a pub car park in the early hours of the morning after the break-in at the first victim’s home.

The court also heard how checks on Buxton’s laptop revealed he had been viewing porn matching the description of the second victim just after he had been in her home.

Police also found evidence leading to the three charges of making indecent photos of children after they examined his laptop.

Officers also discovered a black hoody screwed up at the back of a cupboard at Buxton’s home which matched a description from the first victim who later picked him out of an identity parade.

Checks on Buxton’s phone also matched his movements during the night of the second attack, according to the court.

William Bennett, defending, said: “This is someone who is a deeply flawed and vulnerable young man who suffers with depression and has been suicidal.”

Judge Burgess sentenced Buxton, who has a previous conviction for sexually assaulting a woman, to eight years in custody.

He told the defendant: “It’s not surprising to learn from one of the victims that there has not been a day since when she doesn’t think about it. It must have been terrifying for her.”

Judge Burgess banned Buxton from using computers and mobile phones unless information and history from the devices can be viewed and not deleted and be made available to police.

Buxton was also made subject to the requirements and restrictions of the sex offenders’ register.