Puppy is killed in fire at Ilkeston flat

Flat fire, Wood Street, Ilkeston
Flat fire, Wood Street, Ilkeston
Share this article

A DOG was killed in a fire at an Ilkeston flat on Monday while its owner was at work.

The dog, thought to be a Japanese Akita puppy, was seen by neighbours jumping up at the window while firefighters battled to gain entry to the smoke-filled second floor flat in Florence Court, in Wood Street.

Flat fire, Wood Street, Ilkeston

Flat fire, Wood Street, Ilkeston

Neighbour Carl Ellis was evacuated with other residents in the flat complex.

He raised the alarm when he saw smoke billowing out from the window.

“My missus went out with our dog into the yard and said she could see smoke coming out of the back kitchen window,” he said.

“I went out to have a look and phoned the fire brigade straight away because there was so much smoke and we could see his dog jumping up at the window.”

He added: “It was a lovely dog. A beautiful, little puppy. He thought the world of it.”

Fire crews from Ilkeston, Heanor and Long Eaton tackled the blaze for about 45 minutes from about 1.15pm and spent about two hours clearing up.

Ilkeston station manager Gary Platts was at the scene. He said: “When the first crew arrived they saw flames coming out of the window at the top.”

He said that neighbours had reported seeing the occupant leave with the dog earlier in the day and later return.

“We tried to gain entry through the door but the oxygen fed the flames so we had to tackle it from outside,” he said.

“Unfortunately the dog died, but all persons have been accounted for – the occupant was at work.”

The fire has been blamed on an electrical fault but a fire investigation is ongoing.

Dozens of people were on the street watching the drama unfold.

Shirely Dickens was on her way into town when she saw the smoke.

“We saw smoke billowing out and came over to see – you could see it from quite a way away.”