Thug broke reveller's jaw during dance floor attack

A thug who punched and broke a reveller's jaw during a night out at a Chesterfield bar is due to be sentenced.

Thursday, 12th May 2016, 3:18 pm
Updated Thursday, 12th May 2016, 4:21 pm
Pictured is the Association Bar, on Corporation Street, Chesterfield.
Pictured is the Association Bar, on Corporation Street, Chesterfield.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, May 11, how Daniel Fletcher, 26, of Blunt Avenue, Mastin Moor, near Staveley, had been in the Association Bar, on Holywell Street, when he put his arm around complainant Nicholas Grayson before punching him in the face.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said: “The complainant was on the dance floor and remembers Fletcher bumping into him several times and the defendant walked to the edge of the dance floor and he was waving towards him.

“Mr Grayson ignored him but the defendant walked towards him and put an arm around his shoulder and the complainant put an arm around Fletcher and as they let go of each other Mr Grayson felt a blow to his right cheek and jaw.”

The court heard how Mr Grayson could taste blood in his mouth after he was punched and he had to spend two days in hospital and have a plate fitted in his fractured jaw.

Mr Grayson stated that he did not know why the defendant had hit him and he has since been left nervous about going to bars and clubs.

Fletcher was seen assaulting Mr Grayson on CCTV and following his arrest he claimed to police that he had felt intimidated by three males in the bar and he had swung out.

The defendant, who has a previous conviction for wounding, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm after the incident in November, last year.

Defence solicitor Felicity Coats said: “He accepted throwing the punch but he said one of the other males had his arm around him suggesting they would get him outside and he was intimidated.

“He threw a punch impulsively and he was in drink and he felt intimidated.”

The probation service also revealed that Fletcher had been celebrating the life of a friend who had recently passed away.

District Judge Andrew Davison committed the case to Derby Crown Court for sentencing on June 1.