Chapman’s on fire as Town fly high

James Chapman hit another century as Sandiacre went clear at the top of the Derbyshire Premier League.
James Chapman hit another century as Sandiacre went clear at the top of the Derbyshire Premier League.

James Chapman hit another century as Sandiacre crushed bottom side Dunstall to go 35 points clear at the top of the Derbyshire Premier League.

Chapman added to the 102 scored against Alvaston & Boulton the previous week with 112 on this occasion, Town eventually crushing their hosts by 196 runs.

Similarly to the win over A&B, this success was built on the foundations of a strong opening stand, indeed two 100-plus partnerships set the tone at the top of the order after Dunstall had won the toss and inserted the visitors into bat.

Chapman and Gareth Curtis wasted little time in scoring the runs, Chapman hitting ten fours and three sixes in his 120-ball knock, Curtis alongside him patiently making his way to 48 before becoming the first man out with the score on 103 as he was caught by Joss Morgan off the bowling of Tom Bailey for the first of his three wickets.

Ollie Swann joined Chapman and he too found runs easy to come by as he passed his half century before being second to fall with the score on 233, Guy Bulpitt sending his bails flying for 57.

Chapman’s innings finally ended to leave Sandiacre 276-3 when he was caught behind by James Benstead off Jonathan Allcock’s bowling, the Dunstall man his side’s best bowler in taking 4-51.

That signalled something of a collapse from Sandiacre who would lose five more wickets for just 20 more runs as they saw out the 50 overs to end 296-8, only Marius Conway-Jones (21) and Curtley Read (11 not out) making double figures but the Town score ending up more than a challenge for the basement side to aim at.

Benstead and Matt Cottrell’s opening stand of 34 came to an end when Benstead became Dan Wheeldon’s first victim lbw and the hosts would never recover.

Cottrell followed almost immediately, caught behind off Read to give Wheeldon his second wicket, then Wheeldon struck again next ball to see off Ben Whitehouse and complete a remarkable spell o bowling that reduced Dunstall from 34-0 to 34-3 in no time.

Only three more runs were added before Danny Spasic was bowled by Ryan McFadyean and Dunstall were in all sorts of trouble at 37-4, their problems added to when Andy Malkin became the next to fall to the Wheeldon/Read combination to leave Dunstall 43-5.

It was only a matter of time before Dunstall would be bowled out, McFadyean removing Allcock and then Wheeldon forcing Morgan into a shot that could only find Chapman’s hands and Dunstall were 73-7.

Wheeldon removed Guy Bulpitt for a golden duck next ball to complete his five-for, ending with figures of 5-35 from 14 overs, and McFadyean (4-48) and Conway-Jones soon saw off the tail to bowl Dunstall out for 100 and secure a comfortable win inside 29 overs.

Sandiacre’s second XI were also in a winning mood as they beat Aston-on-Trent by seven wickets at Longmoor Lane on Saturday.

Sandiacre skipper Ben Ruhrmund won the toss and put the visitors into bat, Aston making 50 before Mohammed Ayub was caught by Tom Priestley off Matt Newbold’s bowling for 12.

Replacement Jason Tiwari didn’t last long as he was out lbw to Anthony Taylor with just one run scored, but opener Abdula Habib was a stubborn character and reached 57 before being stumped by Bill Anderson to become Gareth Goodall’s first victim and Aston were 110-3.

Goodall struck again to remove Sohail Hussain soon afterwards but Muzahar Ali’s half century (51) would aid his side before he was sixth down with the score on 142, Mohammed Khan having been run out just beforehand.

Aston were eventually bowled out for 168, Newbold and Taylor taking three wickets each.

Despite losing Priestley early on Sandiacre eased to victory with the loss of just three wickets, George Domleo’s 58 and an unbeaten 46 from Dave Jordison the key as they reached the target in the 35th over.

Sandiacre thirds were well beaten at Denby after the hosts made 228-5, Freddie Peake (3-59) and Paul White (2-53) with the wickets.

Only Iain Murfin (30) showed any real resistance as Town were bowled out for just 118 in the 36th over to lose by 110 runs.