Devastating spell sees Elks turn game around

Elks travelled to Wellingborough on Saturday and looked to be out of it at 20-8 behind, but a three try blitz in four minutes paved the way for a great comeback that eventually saw them win 29-25.

With injuries mounting up the Elks took the field with a much-changed side including veteran Gordon Pringle who managed a full game at prop.

Wellingborough saw the majority of early possession but Ilkeston took the lead when Luke Bayliss made good ground on the wing, the ball was recycled and Joel Haigh dummied and shot through a gap to score after 13 minutes, extras missed.

Wellingborough responded with a penalty and then went over for their first try 32 minutes in to lead 8-5, which was the half-time score despite Elks seeing Jack Partington yellow-carded on 38 minutes.

Wellingborough made the better start to the second-half and scored another try on 45 minutes, the extras missed making it 13-5.

The hosts then saw a yellow card of their own after a deliberate knock-on and Haigh soon reduced the arrears with a penalty to 13-8.

Wellingborough came straight back and were soon in the Elks 22 and from a line out they attacked and a well-controlled maul was driven over on 54 minutes, the extras added making it 20-8.

Elks then produced an unbelievable spell of rugby starting with Haigh, Greg Taylor and Joe Marsden linking up well, Marsden slipped the ball back to Haigh who had too much pace for the defence and scored under the posts, Haigh also adding the extras to make it 20-15 on 62 minutes.

From the kick off Tom Pottinger took the ball and passed to Greg Taylor who made good groun., Marsden carried on the move and fed the ball back to Greg Taylor to score near the posts, Haigh added the extras making it 20-22 after 63 minutes.

Wellingborough were visibly shocked with the two quick scores and tried to play the ball wide, but a long pass was intercepted by Will Taylor who just had the legs to make it to the line and score his debut try for the first team, Haigh again added the extras making it 20-29 after 66 minutes.

Wellingborough threw everything at the Elks in an attempt to get back in the game. Pottinger was yellow-carded and a late try reduced the arrears to 29-25 in Ilkeston’s favour, which was how it would remain.

Man of the Match went to goes to Joel Haigh.