Duo at the double as Robins ease past Romulus

Ilkeston FC's Joe Wilcox attempts to make progress during the clash with Romulus on Saturday.
Ilkeston FC's Joe Wilcox attempts to make progress during the clash with Romulus on Saturday.
Share this article

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Evo-Stik Division One South


Gary Ricketts 10, 70

Will McCall 88, 90+4


Nathan Walker 68

by Mark Duffy

ILKESTON turned on the style once more on Saturday as Romulus became the latest victims of the Robins’ good home form.

The screw took a little while to be turned, with profligacy in front of goal threatening to be the hosts’ downfall at one stage, but eventually a late flourish gave the scoreline a healthy look.

Daryll Thomas couldn’t profit from a couple of half chances early on but the home side were to take the lead just shy of the ten minute mark.

Thomas found some room on the right hand edge of the area and floated in a cross which Gary Ricketts managed to get what seemed to be a combination of head and shoulder to, and the ball found the corner of the net.

Ilkeston’s young Bulgarian keeper Dimitar Evtimov was confident throughout and twice denied Marvin Johnson in the space of a few minutes, while at the other end Phil Male misjudged a header but Thomas couldn’t capitalise, his shot pushed wide by Romulus stopper Chris Jay.

Ricketts had a golden opportunity to make it two on 36 minutes when Russell Peel put in a fine cross from the left but Ricketts could only plant his header straight into Jay’s arms.

Thomas then burst through wthree minutes later but his effort was across goal and wide of the post, and Adam Colton produced another good stop from Jay following Ricketts’ cross on the stroke of half-time.

Thomas saw a couple of early chances in the second-half fail to hit the target, and while Ilkeston were missing these opportunities there was always the danger of a breakaway Romulus equaliser.

And so it proved on 68 minutes. A cross from the right was cleared only as far as Nathan Walker and his volley took a huge deflection that wrong-footed Evtimov and found the net.

But parity would only last around 90 seconds as the Robins quickly regained the lead. Colton floated a corner in from the left and Ricketts rose at the far post to head home his second.

Evtimov then had to be alert to tip Johnson’s effort over the top on 76, and from the resultant corner he got down well to parry Richard Robinson’s diving header.

But the game was made safe with three minutes to go and it was the returning Will McCall who made his mark. The ball fell to the substitute just outside the penalty area and his low shot was into the corner despite Jay getting a touch.

Fellow sub Tyrell Waite headed straight at Jay moments later, but it was he who created a fourth in the dying seconds. A good run down the left saw him get to the byline and his dinked cross was turned in by McCall for his second.

Ilkeston: 1 Dimitar Evtimov 2 James Cullingworth 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Liam Green 5 Josh Hill 6 Russell Cooke (c) 7 Joe Wilcox 8 Adam Colton 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Daryll Thomas (Tyrell Waite 85) 11 Russell Peel (Will McCall 80)

Subs not used: Darren Caskey, Joe Maguire, Aaron Butcher (GK)

Ref: A Park Att: 506

Star Robin: Gary Ricketts