Elks begin the new year by overcoming Paviors

Greg Taylor combined scoring tries with a man-of-the-match display against Paviors
Greg Taylor combined scoring tries with a man-of-the-match display against Paviors

Paviors 12 Ilkeston RUFC 33

Elks travelled to Burntstump for the first game of 2014 and came away with a resounding 33-12 victory to gain a valuable five points.

Despite the heavy rain the pitch stood up well and allowed the Elks to play a wide running game supported well by the pack.

Pavs started well but Elks’ first spell of possession resulted in quick ball for the backs, the ball was moved right and then left and Adam Corcoran timed his pass nicely to put Tom Pottinger one on one with his defender, who showed good footwork to round his man and score in the left corner after ten minutes, converted well by Joel Haigh to make it 0-7.

The second Elks try came from a counter attack with Pottinger making good ground on the left and quick hands put Greg Taylor into space and he timed his pass well to put Corcoran in to score under the posts after 28 mins, again converted by Haigh to make it 0-14.

The next try soon followed as Isaac Taylor eventually going over following a fine team move, Haigh’s conversion this time missing the target.

Elks started the second-half well and were soon on the attack but then suffered a blow as Lewis Taylor broke his ankle, holding play up for several minutes.

But Elks soon stretched their lead as a line out was lost but the ball was recovered by the forwards and moved left. Good hands from Nick Gray and Ben Wells put Greg Taylor into space and he side-stepped the defence to score under the posts after 56 mins, Haigh added the extras to make it 0-26.

Pavs were trying hard to get back into the game but Elks’ defence was strong, denying any real ground.

Greg Taylor was then on the scoresheet once again on 66 minutes after Ilkeston won a line-out and Taylor slipped past two challengers to sprint clear and score under the posts, Haigh converting to put Ilkeston 33 points ahead.

The Elks seemed to take their foot of the gas after this score but Pavs kept going despite the deficit.

Ilkeston’s Jack Wilkinson was yellow carded on 69 minutes and Pavs took full advantage of the extra man, scoring tries on 71 and 74 minutes with one of them being converted to leave the final score at 33-12 in the visitors’ favour.

This was a great start to 2014 for Ilkeston with some excellent rugby being played despite the wet conditions. The set piece worked well and the backs looked dangerous every time they had good ball.

There were several very good performances but man of the match was Greg Taylor who posed a threat every time he had ball in hand.

Next week sees a home game against bottom of the table Loughborough with 2.15pm kick off at The Stute.