Firsts capitulate while seconds endure high drama

West Hallam made the long journey to Clowne to face the only team above them in the league.

Clowne made their intentions clear early on when they won the toss and decided to bat, aiming for a maximum point win.

West Hallam’s bowlers started well in removing the opening batsmen early but it was number four D Steers who grafted for a well deserved 68 as the rest of the batsmen crumbled around him.

It was no surprise that Lee Barrow was the chief destroyer as he added yet another five wicket haul to his tally, finishing with figures of 5-34.

Barrow was well supported by captain Tommy Lockhart who finished the innings with figures of 3-48.

Clowne were bowled out in 43 overs having set West Hallam a target of 159 to win.

After the previous week’s batting display Lockhart had complete confidence in his top order but this confidence was shown to be misplaced as Hallam’s batsman simply chucked their wicket away with a selection of ill judged shots.

Martyn Bostock showed signs of resistance before one found its way through and he was bowled for 23.

Barrow set about salvaging a respectable total as batsmen fell away around him but after 32 overs, when number 11 Mark Hill joined him at the crease, the score was a lowly 69-9.

Barrow and Hill showed grit and determination that was lacking from the other batsmen to battle through ten overs but eventually in the 43rd over Hill became the final wicket to fall giving Clowne a maximum 27 point win.

Hallam had the weather to thank as games being called off due to the rain meant they retained their second place spot.

Second XI

The second team welcomed relegation battling Belper Amateurs to Cock Orchard hoping to maintain their winning streak.

Captain Jeff Lockhart won the toss and had no hesitation in asking the visitors to bat.

Opening bowlers Robert Lathbury and Robert Goulding both bagged an early wicket, but after 14 overs with Belper only two down Lockhart made a change to bring Anthony Henshaw and James North into the attack.

This change proved to be the right one as Henshaw and North dismantled the opposition to see them reduced to 128 all out.

Opening batsman D Jones played a fine innings of 81 before being undone by the wily spin of Henshaw.

The match became a time game due to earlier rain, and the Hallam reply got off to a shaky start with opener Ben Clarkson falling early and quickly followed back to the pavilion by Charlie Boyles.

Adam Wainman and Jack Pooter grafted hard and took the score to 62-2 when the final hour began meaning Hallam had a minimum of 17 overs to get the remaining 69 for victory.

But news of the final hour starting sent the batsmen into a mad panic.

Pooter threw away the opportunity to record a well-deserved 50 and Wainman had got himself in only to join the others in the pavilion.

More quick wickets followed but Lathbury had set up camp in the middle and was defending his wicket with his life.

He and Goulding had got Hallam through to the penultimate over before a moment of madness saw Goulding run out with just five needed for victory.

It was left to Lockhart and Lathbury to try and find the five runs needed from nine balls.

That soon became one from the final ball, but D Jones bowled a delivery which found its way straight through to the keeper and the match was tied.

Third XI

The thirds’ match at Awsworth was cancelled.