Chettle disappointed in manner of Robins defeat

Steve Chettle lamented the errors which saw Ilkeston lose 4-2 at RC Warwick on Tuesday.
Steve Chettle lamented the errors which saw Ilkeston lose 4-2 at RC Warwick on Tuesday.

Steve Chettle lamented the errors which saw Ilkeston Town beaten at RC Warwick on Tuesday night - but refused to be too critical of his team following nine straight wins.

The Robins lost 4-2 to end another long run of victories, Jamie Walker and Alex Marshall’s goals not enough to stop the hosts taking the points.

But having seen his team concede two penalties and give away another goal due to an error, Chettle was disappointed with the manner of the loss.

He said: “It was a very bobbly pitch and I told the players beforehand that whichever team makes the least mistakes will win.

“We made too many and paid the price, but I can’t be too harsh on the players because we’ve taken 27 points from a possible 30 and that is a great run of form.”

Goalkeeper and player/assistant manager Ian Deakin was withdrawn injured from the game just before half-time having conceded a penalty, with Chettle adding: “He extended his knee when he was clattered whilst trying to shield the ball out of play. It could end his season but we’ll assess things and if he’s fit to play at any point then he will.

“It’s why we carry two good goalkeepers and Jamie Hannis, despite making an error himself for the second penalty, will be an able deputy.”

Ilkeston are due to travel to Heath Hayes on Thursday night (19th) before they get a weekend off due to having no fixture on Saturday.

They will then travel to champions elect Walsall Wood on Tuesday night, their hosts likely to have wrapped up their success by then given they play twice more before that encounter and only require one more win.

Chettle said: “The table doesn’t lie and when you’ve only lost three times you deserve to win the league.

“It could have been a crunch game between us but now looks as though it won’t have as much riding on it.”

Reflecting on Saturday’s 2-0 win over Littleton in what was Ilkeston’s final home game of the campaign, Chettle was satisfied with what he saw.

He said: “Littleton started well but we then got the goal and took control. We weren’t at our best but if you’d offered me a 2-0 win in our last home game I’d have taken it.

“We were comfortable in the second-half and even though the second goal was a bit of a fluke, we deserved the win.

“It was good to finish on a high in front of our fans who have been fantastic all season.”