Defeat ends fine start for Ilkeston Town

editorial image

Ilkeston Town’s hopes of three consecutive wins were ended with a 3-2 defeat at home to Lye Town.

The Robins took a 1-0 lead into the break thanks to Malachi Lavelle-Moore’s long-range effort. But were pegged back thanks to Jack Till’s tap in little under 20 minutes into the second half. Till then fired Lye Town in front with his second of the afternoon just ten minutes later.

Luke Carter made it 3-1 in the 88th minute with a good effort from inside the area to secure the three points, but Lavelle-Moore made it a nervy finish when he headed home Billy Bennett’s free kick just minutes later.

Ilkeston started the brighter of the two sides and Tim Hopkinson came close in the opening few minutes but saw his effort blocked. Midfielder Ben Morris then came close to opening the scoring on two occasions, his first effort was blocked by Lye skipper Jack Pearlman before his looping volley from the edge of the area struck the bar.

Ilkeston continued to pile on the pressure as the away side offered little in reply and were thankful to Matt Sargeant for keeping them level.

Sargeant pushed away Jamie Walker’s low cross and did well to deny Morris from the edge of the area after he was picked out by Alex Marshall. He then did even better to keep out Tom Marshall’s curling free kick.

Ilkeston’s pressure finally told in the 33rd minute and they went in front thanks to Lavelle-Moore. He fired the ball through the legs of Pearlman and it went on through Sargeant as well into the back of the net to ensure the Robins lead at the break.

The away side were much improved in the second half and after Bennett came close dominated much of proceedings.

Till fired just wide before levelling the game minutes later. A cross into the box was missed by Liam Mitchell and Till tapped into the empty net.

Ilkeston came close to resorting their lead through Hopkinson, a clearance hit the forward and went just wide of the post, but it was Lye who went in front with Till’s second of the game. He capitalised on a rare Charlie Jemson mistake and raced in goal, coolly slotting past the on-rushing Mitchell.

Ilkeston then had two good chances to go level, first Morris fired wide and then defender Shaun Rickford fired over from inside the six-yard box with under ten minutes remaining.

The away side then wrapped up the win through Carter in the 88th minute.

There was still enough time for Ilkeston to make it a nervy finish and pull a goal back Lavelle-Moore headed home Bennett’s free kick. And substitute Lavelle White was tackled just as he looked to slot past Sargeant. But the away side hung on to deal Ilkeston their first defeat of the campaign.

Starting XI: 1-Mitchell, 2- T Marshall, 3-Bennett, 4-Dixon, 5-Rickford, 6-Jemson, 7-Morris(White), 8-Hopkinson, 9-A Marshall(Whitehurst), 10-Lavelle-Moore, 11- Walker(Green)

Up Next: At HOME vs Long Eaton United

Tuesday 14th August Kickoff: 7:45Pm