Early winner ends Robins’ FA Cup ambitions

Jack Watts tries to make progress at a misty New Manor Ground on Monday night. Photo by Rob Stephenson.
Jack Watts tries to make progress at a misty New Manor Ground on Monday night. Photo by Rob Stephenson.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round replay

Ilkeston FC 0 AFC Fylde 1

An Adam Farrell goal after just 62 seconds was enough to send AFC Fylde into the first round proper and end Ilkeston’s FA Cup dreams.

In the third meeting between the sides this season there was again little between them, but Ilkeston were left to rue poor ball retention and a dreadful first-half display as they exited the competition.

For the third match in a week the Robins were behind early on and this was the quickest of the lot.

The clock had just ticked past one minute when tricky winger Michael Barnes did well down the left before finding Farrell six yards out who, similarly to Saturday’s encounter, steered the ball home for an early lead.

Rather than spurring the hosts into action it appeared to have the opposite effect. Dereece Gardner, the liveliest Robin throughout, was first to threaten on 14 minutes with a drive from distance tipped wide by Ben Hinchliffe.

Fylde were creating the better openings, Farrell twice seeing headers go close, Richie Allen blazing too high after cutting in from the right and full-back Steve Haslam shooting straight at Timms from 25 yards out.

Ilkeston were having little or no success in the final third whilst frequently giving the ball away elsewhere, James Reid’s low shot into the side netting the closest they’d come in the first-half.

Jack Dorney then curled wide for the visitors as they held on to the lead at half-time.

The second-half saw more tempo and effort from Ilkeston but, once again, no end product.

Gardner had another long range effort saved while at the other end Matt Hughes’ header was pushed over by Ashley Timms.

The introduction of striker Daryll Thomas and a switch to 4-3-3 added more life to proceedings but only Gary Ricketts’ header straight at Hinchliffe seriously threatened the visitors’ lead.

Other than that, wayward long-range efforts were all Ilkeston could muster, and despite Glenn Steel’s header going just wide for Fylde and Barnes missing a great chance to make it two from ten yards out, they had done enough to earn a tie with Accrington Stanley a week on Saturday.

The referee only played four of the five signalled minutes at the end, but Ilkeston’s inability to find the net in the previous 94 indicated an extra one would probably have made little difference.

Ilkeston: 1 Ashley Timms 2 Dan Partridge (Joe Wilcox 87) 3 Ryan Wilson 4 Laurie Wilson 5 Greg Pearson 6 Joe Maguire 7 Jack Watts (Daryll Thomas 63) 8 Matt Richards (c) 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Dereece Gardner 11 James Reid . Subs not used: Dion Chambers, Ellis Storey, Ryan Osborne, Russell Peel, Chris Martin

Fylde: 1 Ben Hinchliffe 2 Steve Haslam 3 Adam Sumner 4 Matt Hughes 5 Glenn Steel 6 Brad Barnes (c) 7 Joe Booth 8 Jack Dorney (Harry Winter 68) 9 Adam Farrell (James Dean 75) 10 Michael Barnes 11 Richie Allen (Paul Jarvis 80). Subs not used: Andy Tennant, Jimmy McCarthy, Phil Doughty, Adam Carden

Scorer: Farrell 2

Att: 696

Ref: Richard Wigglesworth (Doncaster)

Star Robin: Dereece Gardner

by Mark Duffy