Errors prove costly as Belper seal win

Gary Ricketts (no.9) fires home Ilkeston FC's goal during the 3-1 defeat to Belper on Bank Holiday Monday.
Gary Ricketts (no.9) fires home Ilkeston FC's goal during the 3-1 defeat to Belper on Bank Holiday Monday.

Monday, August 29, 2011

Evo-Stik Division One South


Lee Morris 33, 45

Jon Froggatt 69pen


Gary Ricketts 21

by Mark Duffy

DEFENSIVE errors, wayward finishing and a fair share of bad luck were the main ingredients for a second successive Ilkeston FC defeat on Monday.

In a match the Robins largely controlled, it was Belper who made the most of their few opportunities and left many onlookers scratching their heads as to how Ilkeston had got nothing from the game.

Tyrell Waite had the first notable shot at goal for the Robins on 13 minutes having cut in from the left, keeper Andy Richmond parrying his shot away and Gary Ricketts unable to connect with the rebound.

But Ilkeston were to take the lead on 21 minutes when persistence from Adam Colton saw him burst into the area under pressure from several challenges, and the ball eventually fell to Ricketts on the edge of the 18-yard box who drilled a low shot which hit the inside of Richmond’s left-hand post and nestled in the opposite corner.

Daryll Thomas then saw a shot pushed wide by Richmond for a corner, while the Nailers were to rattle the woodwork on 32 minutes when Paris Simmons’ 25-yard free-kick beat Butcher and hit the crossbar, but a minute later they were level courtesy of an Ilkeston mistake.

Joe Wilcox woefully under-hit a back pass to Butcher who was rushing out to the edge of his penalty area, and that allowed Jon Froggatt to square the ball to Lee Morris who rolled it into an empty net.

Darren Caskey and Ricketts then both went close with difficult chances but it was the home side who were to take the lead right on half-time when Simmons flicked the ball on to Morris who finished well to make it 2-1.

There was still time for Ricketts to produce an overhead kick which struck the post before rebounding back into Richmond’s arms, but Belper were to lead at the interval.

The first chance of the second-half came on 55 minutes, when Caskey’s free-kick was headed out to Colton on the edge of the box and his low left-foot shot was just wide of the post.

A bizarre equaliser nearly arrived on 66 minutes when Waite’s low ball into the six-yard box went straight under Richmond and looked set to roll into the net but Damien McGee somehow cleared off the line - perhaps a sign that things just weren’t going Ilkeston’s way.

And seconds later the hosts were able to capitalise on the lack of luck the Robins were enduring. Deon Meikle burst through the middle and in trying to go around Butcher was brought to the ground for a penalty by the Robins keeper. He survived a sending off due to there being a covering defender, but Froggatt’s spot-kick was low into the corner of the net just wide of Butcher’s dive.

Few opportunities came about before the end, though sub Josh Wisdom blazed over in a good position with three minutes left as Ilkeston tried to salvage something from the match, but the home side had done enough to earn the points.

Ilkeston: 1 Aaron Butcher 2 Joe Wilcox 3 James Cullingworth (Russell Peel 90) 4 Adam Colton (Tom Colclough 77) 5 Josh Hill 6 Dan Partridge 7 Tyrell Waite (Josh Wisdom 77) 8 Darren Caskey 9 Gary Ricketts 10 Daryll Thomas 11 Liam Green (c)

Subs not used: Adam Burton, Ryan Swift (GK) Ref: G Law

Att: 374 Star Man: Gary Ricketts